Best Sunglasses for Men
Let’s face it, the majority of guys are clueless to having real fashion sense. The concept of style can seem like a foreign language to us, and when it comes to matching colors or wearing the right clothes for our physique, it’s often an uphill battle. Now let me clarify I did not say all men have this problem so calm down Hipsters...I can hear the NYC fashionistas getting angry already. I said most men. Now, whether you have a fantastic fashion sense and women compliment your clothing all the time, or you’re completely clueless, sunglasses are a must have accessory for every man not only to protect your eyes during the day, but to also add a hint of style and badassery to your look. This sunglasses guide will give you exactly what you need to make sure you look great and wear the right pair of shades for every occasion.
Fit your Face Shape
First thing you want to consider is finding the best sunglasses for your face shape. If you’re asking yourself “what sunglasses fit my face?” then have no fear, we’re hear for ya! First figure out your face shape, and if you're not sure just ask the women in your life...they seem to have a great eye for these things. Then once you know, you’ll know forever. Is your face round, oval, square, diamond or heart-shaped? The shape of your face will help you determine which frames enhance your look.
- Round Face: The best sunglasses for a round face are frames that are square or rectangular and are usually wider than a round face. This quality can enhance your face by making it appear slimmer and longer, adding balance to your round features. We recommend you avoid round frames and rimless frames. Also, small frames will make your face look even rounder so definitely steer clear.
- Oval Face: The best sunglasses for an oval face typically have a strong bridge, are wider than the broadest part of the face and are geometric in shape. We recommend avoiding overly large frames that cover up a lot of your face. It will throw off the natural balance and symmetry of the oval face. After all, the way we’re programed to find things attractive is when we see a natural sense of balance and symmetry.
- Square Face: Shades that soften the angles of your face and sit high on the bridge of the nose look best on a square face. Round or oval sunglasses will balance out and add a thinner appearance to the angles of a square face. We recommend avoiding any angular or boxy shades that will only sharpen and draw even more attention to your angular features.
- Diamond Face: Go for a wider frame, preferably wider than your cheekbones such as the cat eye shape. This will help strengthen your otherwise delicate features and accent your cheekbones. We recommend avoiding narrow frames or anything too boxy since it will draw attention to your narrow features
- Heart-Shaped Face: Shades that sit a little low or have bottom heavy frames will add width to the narrow parts of your face and help balance the width of your forehead to your narrow chin. Round or square with curved edges will take attention away from the broad forehead. We recommend avoiding anything that will draw attention to the forehead like bright or shiny top frames.
- Fit your Lifestyle: Next thing to consider is your lifestyle. Whether active, formal, casual, or business, it’s important to match the sunnies with the occasion or overall lifestyle. Think about it logically, you wouldn’t see a sport fisherman wearing some big flashy designer sunglasses, just as you wouldn’t see some fashion diva on Rodeo Drive wearing some thick black frame sporty Oakley’s. We recommend not only matching the style of your sunglasses with your daily lifestyle, but also finding shades that are versatile enough to look good in multiple occassions. A pair of clean crisp aviators or surf style sunglasses can look good on a boat, a beach day, or dressed up with a button down and slacks.
- Fit Your Personality: The frames you wear can say a lot about your personality. You can have a pair of glasses that showcase your fun loving side on the weekends and a pair that emphasizes your business side during the week. Don’t take yourself too seriously either. Sunglasses can be the perfect accessory to show off different sides of your personality, especially when you’re in an environment where there is no strict dress code. You can mix it up with different colored frames or bold colored lenses.As long as the shape fits your face, you’ll look visually appealing to the person you might want to attract, and the different color patterns can give some clues to the personality underneath the surface.
Here are some extra resources to help you dial in the perfect pair of shades:
- Style Ideas for Men: From latest trends, to affordable brands, GQ always has the best advice. Check this link out for some great ideas to upgrade the wardrobe without breaking the bank.